Monday, March 4, 2013

Girl Time


Friday night I drove down to Pueblo to spend the evening with my sister.
I have to say I don’t know how people make it without sisters; or siblings in general.
Being around one of my sisters just for a few hours lift my spirits to new highs.
I had a good conversation with one of my very best friends, Sydney, the other day about what being around positive females can do for your self-esteem & I have to say I’m feeling pretty good about our discovery.
Being a social butterfly comes easy for some people, and I have always admired the trait but haven’t ever been comfortable being “the life of the party.”  I am perfectly content sitting at a small table with a few close friends or some family.
Being down here in the southern corner of Colorado dates with a girlfriend are few and far between.
So when Jeb is gone at a show I use any excuse I can to drive somewhere to see one of them.
After talking with Sydney my beliefs that you don’t need just that ONE person are shining true.
It is part of my daily prayer that Jeb will always be the one I can’t wait to tell practically everything to, & he is I know my “person” like on Grey’s Anatomy.
BUT! He could seriously care less about a new nail polish color. Or that I found the answer to my make-up issue once again on Pinterest.
I am one of those girls who just needs a girl.
And after talking to Sydney I realized how important it is to make sure the females you surround yourself with are ones that want what is best for you, and push you to be better. They also need to know the difference between venting and nagging or a cry for help.
My sisters and closest friends have heard a lot from me lately.
I have been on a “clean eating” diet for 7 weeks now and haven’t managed to lose weight.
Until last Thursday I had applied everywhere in Alamosa and hadn’t heard a positive thing back! Nothing short of being told I wasn’t qualified to work at Maurice’s.
I will be the first to admit after Jeb shared his exciting news about a horse show in Vegas at the end of March; I was much more jealous and upset that I couldn’t go instead of being excited for him.
So a little home done pedicure and a chick flick were just what the doctor ordered.
Last year being engaged I was given lots of advice. Most was good, beneficial and still floats into my thoughts from time to time. But I seriously hated it when people would tell me how hard being married is and that I was ruining our relationship for an insurance status. But if I am honest sometimes those words float back to me as well.
I know I still have so much to learn and I hope I am never done learning. It’s like anything else I love; I should always want to strive to be better.  With hair I hope I never tire of trying new things, new ideas and learning new techniques. In my marriage I should always want to make things better, and strive to reach new heights.
This weekend has taught me that although Jeb is my first priority and my “person” I still need my girls. I still need to talk to a friend about my frustrations, have a glass of wine or a chocolate dipped, smothered in chocolate something & have us a good laugh. I still need a sister to vent about his manly habits and she can agree with an “EWW!” Light-hearted of course, Jeb is actually very good about putting the toilet seat back down! J
Anyways, I know I am not the first one to make this discovery, Sex & the City is one of my very favorite examples. At some point in one of the many episodes, one of the character’s men tells her to talk, see, and spend some time with, THE GIRLS.
As far as I know, guys need guy time, “man caves” Shoot from September to January they get to control the TV channel all weekend! (at least at my house & my parents house)
So I am not going to feel bad about wanting to simply tweeze my eyebrows next to my sister or spend $10.00 on 4nail polishes because we simply can’t decide which one looks best. Or going to get pedicures and our nails done for fun, spending time together can really make all the difference.
I thank Jesus every day for my sisters. They are truly my best friends.
I also thank Jesus for my friends that are like my sisters; the ones that I can go a week or two not talking to and pick up just like we never left off, although in my friendship with Sydney we hardly ever make it past a week.
Time with them is never wasted time. Even if it is just sitting together being totally focused on our own projects.
One of the best pluses though, is when all of us get together our guys included and we can still have a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment